History of the Glen House
In the early 1850's, John Bellows converted a farmhouse into a hotel to provide accommodations for the increase in visitors brought to Pinkham Notch via the newly completed Grand Trunk Railway. The Grand Trunk Railway connected Portland, Maine to Gorham, New Hampshire. He soon sold the hotel to Col. J.M. Thompson, who renamed it The Glen House.
By the late 1860's, the Milliken brothers took over The Glen House upon the untimely death of Col. J.M. Thompson. Destroyed by fire in 1884, the Milliken brothers rebuilt and expanded the hotel over the next few years. Ultimately, the hotel was devastated by fire again in 1893. Although not rebuilt at that time, the Libby family of Gorham, NH soon acquired the property. The Libby's converted the servant's quarters into a 40-room hotel, again to only be consumed by fire.
At the height of The Glen House's day, visitors to the area were greeted with beautiful views of Tuckerman Ravine and the northern Presidential Range. The then newly opened Carriage Road, now the Mount Washington Auto Road, offered guests the opportunity to visit natural attractions in the area such as Mount Washington. Guests of the hotel could be found playing lawn tennis or croquet or listening to an orchestra. Game rooms and parlors, along with a library offered indoor activities as well.
The fifth iteration of The Glen House features 68-rooms and was built on the west side of Route 16 in Green's Grant. Aesthetically, the hotel gives a nod to its predecessors who date back to the late 1800's.
The hotel features an indoor, heated, saltwater pool and full-service restaurant, The Notch Grille. Half of the rooms feature balconies facing the highest summit in the Northeast.